A NATION OF IGNORANT VICTIMS

October 23, 2011 in Commentary

I know the frustration felt by the Occupy Wall Street crowd.  After all, shouldn’t we all be frustrated by a congress that is bought and paid for by the evil rich?  I think not:  only a victim that doesn’t wish to take responsibility for their culpability in the state of their nation could feel this way.

First, let’s look at the alleged 99%.   The last time I checked, it took a majority to elect the president or a congressperson.  If the OWS crowd really does represent the 99%, there’s no way any congressperson could get elected by the remaining 1% that they claim tyrannizes them.  Campaign contribution and expenditure information is public information and readily available  to anybody interested.  Oh yes, I know, the “Citizens United” case allows corporations to contribute without revealing their contributions.  Well, if you have somebody that’s running for office that doesn’t want to divulge the source of their bucks, don’t vote for them.

Talk about victims, what about the young people occupying Wall Street.  Since my youth, the young voter has been the great silent hope of every running elected official.  They’re always going to show up at the last minute and vote in the next election and turn everything around.  Though they did make a difference in the 2008 election, the same was not the case for the 2010 election and now  rumor has it that their disillusionment will have them absent from the voting booths in 2012.  Sorry youth of the nation, that’s just not the way it works in our political system.  If you don’t get your way the first time, you try and try again.  By the way, that’s what I tell every young person I run across that will listen to me.  I tell them that if they ever got together as a group, they could offset the political power of my political group with their hands out, senior citizens.

I close with the oft told story of the man that was crawling around looking for his lost keys under the streetlight when a stranger came by, dropped to his knees and joined him.   After several minutes the stranger asked, “what are we looking for,” and the man says my keys, I lost them.  The stranger then says, “well, where did you loose them,” at which point the man points behind himself toward the dark street and says, “over there.”   The stranger then asks, “then why are you looking for them here,” to which the man replies, “because that’s where the light is.”

We all immediately recognize the silliness of looking for the keys because that’s where the light is, as opposed to looking for them where we lost them, where they are.  Maybe we’ll learn the same about our political problems some day or in the words of a famous old time comic strip character, Pogo, we have met the enemy and it is us.

Print Friendly

Print this entry

0 responses to A NATION OF IGNORANT VICTIMS

723 trackbacks